November 26, 2008

Wrapping up

I have to say that this has been a very interesting experience. Frustrating and annoying at times, but I definitely a learning experience.
I loved del.ici.ous and pbwiki and can really see them being using in the library setting. In fact, the folks here at Whetstone are already doing so!
But some I just don't see the point of period, much less for libraries. Like twitter. I mean, seriously. I don't want to know what anyone is doing every hour of the day, much less a librarian (and I want to be one!).
Overall though, I think the concepts behind Web 2.0 or Library 2.0 are things the library will now have to incorperate in their operations. Community involvement and customization are things expected by our customers now and if we want to stay relevant to them we need to live up to those expectations.
This has been a long and tiring journey, but I've definitely come out on the other end with a better appreciation for what's out there. I'm just sad that so many of my coworkers gave up before finishing b/ of a lack of time or computer skills. I can only hope that they will get future oportunities to work on these skills.
So with my final posting I guess there's just one more thing left to say:
So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good night.

No comments: