August 25, 2008

Correction

I feel like I should correct a statement from my earlier post.
I don't hate all blogs.
In fact, I actually read a couple. But these blogs are either created by friends and tell their day-to-day stories, or are well-crafted sources of information.
When blogs are used in the library setting they can be really useful, too. Worthington Libraries used a blog to keep its patrons updated on the building of their new library. I don't know how much the community used it, but it is a well done blog that was continualy updated.
One that I know was sucessful was the Director's Blog created by Don Barlow, the Director of the Westerville Public Library. When they had a levy on the ballot a few years ago, Barlow used the blog to interact directly with the public, promoting the library and answering questions the voters had about it. There were some great discussions on there and it seems to have had a positive impact. They did win their levy, afterall. Perhaps this is something we, i.e. Pat, should consider in 2010.
So libraries can use blogs to their advantage, and some people can too. Some can. It seems like everyone has a blog these days (and I was proud to say I didn't until a few weeks ago...) and feel the need to state their opinion. This is fine, so long as I don't have to read them!
So not all blogs are evil. Just most of them.

No comments: